Never cooked on a camping stove before? Here's our top tips and 3 easy recipes to whip up no matter what your culinary abilities!
Number one - S’mores
Warm, gooey marshmallows & melted chocolate sandwiched between crunchy biscuits - What’s not to love? A fireside classic and all-round hit with the whole family, all you need is a roaring fire and the following ingredients.
- Giant marshmallows are key for that authentic smores gooeyness, buy the biggest ones you can get your hands on, and thank us later!
- Don’t underestimate the power of great-quality chocolate. When shopping for the ingredients for your delicious treats, don’t scrimp & save - spend those extra pounds and choose the better quality chocolate.
- The bigger the biscuits the better! The last thing you want is for your giant marshmallows and posh chocolate to come cascading out of the sides and all over you or your little ones - you don’t want to waste any!
Firstly, prepare your biscuits. Lay them out and put a cube or two of chocolate on top of each one, laying another plain one next to it - This will be the top and bottom of your s’mores and the part you’ll hold on to. Next toast your marshmallow on a stick or metal skewer until golden brown (be careful as this will get very hot). Then put the top and bottom of your s’mores biscuits around the marshmallow and use this to pull it off the stick. Now enjoy!
Number two - Campfire pizza
For this one you’ll need the Deluxe Winnerwell Nomad Stove. This highly-portable, easy to use stove is ideal for heating and cooking in a canvas tent, and built to last.
- For the pizza dough we recommend that you buy a ready made dough as this will last longer and travel better.
- Depending on where you’re glamping and how you will get there, you may be restricted on food storage space so preparing all the toppings ahead of time is key. So, when it comes to toppings, taking a little bit of everything might be out of the question. You can’t go wrong with a tomato pizza base cause, ready-grated cheddar cheese or mozzarella, pre-sliced vegetables like mushrooms & peppers and any meat you’d like to add.
- Lightly grill both sides of the pizza first then add your toppings and cook over the coals until the cheese is melted and the edges are golden to your liking.
Number three - Outdoor cooked breakfast
Have you even been glamping if you haven’t cooked your breakfast over hot coals?! This meal will set you up for the day and keep you warm from the inside. Pack up all of your favourite cooked breakfast items like baked beans, bacon, eggs and sausages and don’t forget your seasoning & tomato ketchup!
- To avoid taking too many pots and pans use one frying pan for the meat & a small saucepan for the baked beans. You can boil your eggs directly on the hot coals below, definitely something to try once in your life!.
- Know your timings. Compared to cooking a full English breakfast indoors, you will have varying factors such as the temperature & wind direction to compete with. Practice cooking outdoors in the garden at home before you go to get the timings right.
- Have fun with it! You can pack this meal full of protein from the meat & eggs, fats from buttery toast or bread and carbohydrates from mushrooms and tomatoes. If you’re camping with children let them join in and show them how to safely cook in the great outdoors!